12.01.2012

DIY Jewelry Board

One evening, as I just came home from a successful day of jewelry shopping and was admiring the new pieces to my collection, it came to my attention that I really had no where to organize it all. Remembering an article I came across in the magazine Better Homes and Gardens (I was bored waiting at a doctor's appointment, don't judge), I became inspired to create my very own jewelry board. In addition to my love for fashion, I also enjoy interior decorating, so this was a perfect opportunity for me to fulfill both. After a quick run to Target and  Hancock Fabrics, I was ready to tackle this project! The jewelry board was done within an hour, thanks to my dad's help and inspiration from Wendy's lookbook as well. Now, allow me to show you how to make your very own jewelry board.


Materials:
- Pretty fabric
- Cork board
- Scissors
- Push pins or nails
- Stapler
- Rope
- Foamy "paper"

1. The Board. Cut the fabric so it's at least two inches wider from each side of the cork board. Align the fabric to the cork board, fold over the edges, and staple. You may need to use a bit of force to staple down the fabric to the wood, but I did it, so you can too!

2. Necklaces. Now, for hanging the jewelry. Necklaces are the easiest; all you need to do is push in your pins on the board where ever you want the necklaces to hang. Make sure you eye the length of the necklaces so they won't dangle too low. 

3. Bracelets & Rings. Measure and cut three pieces of rope (or yarn, string, etc.) so they are all the same length. Next, braid it! It's better-looking and sturdier this way. Tie a double knot to secure the ends. Now you can slip the bracelets and rings onto the braided rope and pin it to the board. 

4. Earrings. These can be tricky, so it may not work for all types of earrings. For the studded earrings, I used this foamy but not flimsy "paper" which I unfortunately don't know the name of. Poke holes into the "paper" and put in your earrings. Take long nails and pin the "paper" on the board so there's space in between for the back of the earrings. As for dangly earrings, I took one piece of the rope, looped the ends, and tied a knot to secure it. Then I just hanged it on the board.

No comments:

Post a Comment